Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.electronics
Electronworks.co.uk Electronworks.co.uk is offline

Default can i use a 12 volt battery on a 9 volt device ?

"richard" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:33:07 GMT, "hhgggff" wrote:

My friends dad is building a Tardis for his grandson.

We have rigged up the blue flashing light using a 12 volt car battery, we
now need to sort out the sounds.

I was thinking of using an old cars cassette tape, but I have an old 9
volt
portable cassette handy.

Will it burn down the TARDIS if I use that instead ?

tafankuverymuch

Go to your local radioshack and buy a 9v voltage regulator.
12 volts in 9 volts out. Get a 5 or 3 amp fuse so the player will only
draw the amps it needs.

Richard

You are implying the fuse will limit the current, which of course it will
not. OK the regulator may have some current limiting in it, but a fuse will
not be much good

--
Bill Naylor
www.electronworks.co.uk