Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.electronics
ian field[_2_] ian field[_2_] is offline

Default can i use a 12 volt battery on a 9 volt device ?

"hhgggff" wrote in message
news
My friends dad is building a Tardis for his grandson.

We have rigged up the blue flashing light using a 12 volt car battery, we
now need to sort out the sounds.

I was thinking of using an old cars cassette tape, but I have an old 9
volt portable cassette handy.

Will it burn down the TARDIS if I use that instead ?

tafankuverymuch

You can get simple to use regulator chips that drop the voltage down, you
only need a couple of components to make a working voltage regulator. Ask on
News:sci.electronics.basic - the folk on there are usually very helpful and
should explain all you need.