Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Plumber's tape needed?

Doug Miller wrote:

As long as you keep it on the threads, and off the ring, where's the harm?

No harm other than a waste of time. Brass compression fittings simply
don't need dope on the threads. You could put pipe dope along the
entire length of pipe and do no harm, but it begs the question, why?

As I've said several times before, taping or doping threads makes the joints
easier to disassemble. There's no point at all, obviously, in putting it along
the entire length of the pipe. But then, you're the only one who's suggested
doing that. g

I said you "could" do it, and "suggested" it would have the same value
as doping the threads in a brass compression fitting. I never suggested
one should do it. I understand pipe dope might make a threaded
steel/iron joint easier to loosen, but not in brass, brass doesn't rust,
doesn't need pipe dope to make it easier to disassemble.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/