Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to finish a cherry butcher block counter top

On Jul 10, 9:47*pm, "Dick Keats" wrote:
Bought an 8 foot by 25 inch 1-1/2" thick cherry butcher block.
It is unfinished.
Want to use it on a kitchen island with a small vegetable sink in it.
How should I go about finishing (sealing?) it.
There will be food on it but we do not plan to cut/chop on it.
Any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Dick Keats
Euless, TX

If you were cutting on it mineral oil is right, and may be best maybe
not, but mineral oil doesnt cure hard. The butcher block I use mineral
oil on ages, stains alot, every maybe 5 years I use a belt sander to
remove the stains and aged wood look. How you finish it depends on the
look you want and how well you want it protected from different stains
and abuse. Oils will be easiest to recoat but in years might need a
big sanding, finishes scratch. Tung oil is easy to do and seals, polys
protect even more, ive seen the 2 part super thick epoxy used, the
finish you see in bars last a long time. It depends on the style of
your kitchen, durability you need, and willingness to upkeep and
maintain it.