Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Plumber's tape needed?

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

I don't see any need for tape or dope on compression fittings.

Compression fittings require a metal to metal fit to work properly,
thus tape or dope defeats the purpose except on the threaded portion
of the fitting.

But, on the brass threaded portion the tape/dope is not needed, and
probably should be avoided.

That said, compression fittings are a poor choice where high flow
rates may be required.

I never heard this before, and not sure I understand why? Not saying
it's incorrect, just that I don't get it? They don't appear to restrict
flow at all?

Compression fittings are used in high pressure conditions, which I guess
would infer high flow rates?

Now that I think about it, for Doug, the disconnects at the end of your
air hose are compression fittings. Not particularly the type we are
discussing but thought I'd throw that in.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/