Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry[_4_] Harry[_4_] is offline

Default Locking sockets or plugs?

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:02:49 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:30:13 +0100, Harry wrote:

Thanks all, got the cells working at least. This afternoon I've fitted
new plugs with lever out fuses, not ideal but it's quick and simple.

Will numpty perosn just bung in a 13A fuse to use the kit? Possibly
when the plug fuse should be 3A... Probably not the case with the kit
you mention but worth bearing in mind.

Free electric strikes me as a bit daft as well. People will abuse it,
have the heaters flat out but not switch 'em off it gets to hot just
open the window and/or doors...

I did say it's complicated. It's a ladies fashion/accessory shop. My
girl is a dressmaker and also provides an alteration service from a
back section of the unit. Sort of an inshop if you will. As part of
the agreement, she, in return for a small rent, isn't charged for her
electricity usage. The premise is that as she's there, more people
will come in to the main shop and also buy off the peg as a result.
And they do seem to. It was too good an offer to turn down as,
although the work returns an income, it's very labour intensive with
LONG hours and wouldn't be viable if she had to pay full whack for her
own place. On the (very) odd days that she does leave before the shop
closes so there's still other people there, she's always come back in
the morning to find her machines have been switched on/used in her
absence. It isn't safe to use this stuff without training/unsupervised
and she relies on the things for her living so we'd like to prevent
injury and damage, both. The fuse ruse is a temporary solution,
numpties will always find a work around. I'd not be surprised to have
her tell me today that a plug has been cut off and the wires jammed
into a socket with lollipop sticks! I'm also thinking about making
covers or hoods to put over the machines which can then be locked to
the benches.