Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plumber's tape needed?

"Upscale" wrote:

Ok, I picked up a roll of the yellow tape today, but reading the
instructions on the back a little more closely, I'm not sure if I
should use
it or if it's usable for my 150 psi compressor.

Here's what I got:

It's certainly yellow. The front description states "Gasline thread
seal
tape".
On the back in finer print it states "Do not use on flared threads".
And then the following blurb:
"Got use in assemblies handling gasoline, petroleum oils, propane,
butane
and natural gas not exceeding 100 psig".

I'm guessing that 100 psig is gallons volume, so I'm not so
concerned there,
but the threads on the brass fittings *are* flared which to me means
that
the circumference gets gradually larger on the male part of the
fittings. I
guess I'll use it anyway since the only realistic problem I might
get if
there is one is the hiss of a little air.

======================================
You are confusing oranges and apples.

In the USA, pipe threads are NPT (National pipe thread) which are
tapered 1-1/2"/12".

For comparison, the Brits use BSP or straight (non tapered) pipe
threads.

PSIG = Pounds per square inch gauge

Has nothing to do with volume, describes pressure..

"Flare" fittings involve flaring the copper tubing (usually 37-1/2
degrees) to provide a metal to metal seal which won't work if there is
Teflon tape in the middle.

The 100 PSIG limit is to advise you not use Teflon tape on high
pressure storage vessels.

IOW, for your applications, you can tuck your roll of tape under your
pillow and sleep tight tonight.

Lew