Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Truing up chuck jaws

On 2009-07-11, Michael Koblic wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

[ ... ]

O.K. If you are considering purchasing a larger lathe (as
suggested by the questions about lubrication), yes it is more than you
need to do.

It is all about understanding the options and then making the right
choice.
The one big unknown is the future performance of the RedNeck beast. I
made a
toolpost for it (well, a boring bar holder really) and it will be ready
go tomorrow. If it does half a decent job the pressure is off.

O.K. Good Luck there.

I have struggeled all afternon with trying to get the chuck and face plate
turn true. I have reduced the wobble to about 0.012" which is realistically
the limit of my ability and the dead-blow hammer. For allI know the thread
on the 1" bolt ("the spindle) has not been cut true.

The threads on a typical bolt are not *cut* at all -- they are
*rolled*. Sort of like three-roller knurling, except that there are
thread formed in the rollers, and I believe that they are geared
together so they form a complete thread instead of three partial threads
out of sync with each other. :-) Parallel to the axis of the bolt is not
considered an important factor. If you want parallel, you'll have to
turn the threads on a plain steel shaft, or maybe use allthread after
discarding the end couple of inches to be sure that things are well
positioned. Drill and internally thread bushings to fit the bearings,
Loctite them in place, and then turn them true to the axis of the
allthread.

Fancy that! I checked
both the chuck and the face plate lying on their collars and they seem OK.

O.K. but the real test is with a turned thread in the same
bearings which held the shaft while it was being threaded.

OTOH mounting the vise in lieu of a cross-slide I was able to achieve less
than 0.001" parallelism (which will presumably last till the next rainy
day).

Oh yes -- you've got wood as part of it, don't you.

The biggest disappointment was finding out that if I want to use this vise
as a cross-slide the swing will be reduced to mere 8".

This is a vise on a slide with a leadscrew? Maybe two at
something approximating right angles? I'll bet that there is not enough
rigidity on that, either.

[ ... reamers ... ]

I guess this is OK up to about 1/2". Economy-wise.

Or one reamer just for the size you need, not a full set.

I have adopted the policy of buying them one at a time depending on the job
at hand. But when they get to 1/2" they start getting quite expensive.

Have you checked eBay? IIRC, the diameter which you were
looking for was 5/8". Check out these auctions:

300321263442

250460980926

170316404632

180379269150

270422638488

120408982014

400027644383

390067078707

390067071101

390066837988

120431725903

3837402768 (yes, this does appear to be the number)

320284520680

and quite a few more. I skipped over the adjustable expansion
reamers and the tapered reamers, along with a few others which I felt
would be unsuitable.

My search string was:

reamers 5/8"

and the prices go from about $2.95 up. Some of the lots offer extra
reamers in addition to the 5/8" which you want. There are both hand
reamers (square end for holding in a tap wrench) and chucking reamers
(for use under power).

So -- you can pick up what you need on eBay for much more
reasonable prices than from a new vendor.

I've picked up from eBay sets of reamers covering a fairly wide
size range.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564