Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default How to choose a machine oil for the lathe headstock?

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

I would really suggest finding Vactra No. 2 or an equivalent.
Find a professional machine shop somewhere in your area, take them
some donuts,

What is it about engine oil and doughnuts???

and ask were they get their waylube and whether they
will sell a small amount to you, if you can't find a vendor who will
sell small containers. IIRC, MSC will sell as small a container as a
single gallon. It is amazing the change in the feel of the carriage
handwheel moving the carriage along the ways when you have put on
Vactra after using a thin oil. The *gears* in a gearhead want thin.
The ways want stuff which will stick to the ways and float the
carriage. And the gears under the end cover of my Clausing's
headstock I lubricate with a lithium based grease -- thick enough so
it won't be flung off in operation, thin enough so it doesn't make
the lathe work harder.

NLGI #2 ?

[ ... ]

BTW If you are buying new, you might want to go for the belt driven
instead of the gearhead design. I've heard that the vibration
from the meshing of the gears introduces a pattern to the turned
surface, while belt makes a smoother finish, and what you are
making is aiming for appearance more than the heavy metal cutting
needs served by a gearhead lathe.

If (and it is a pretty big if) it comes down to that I suspect that is the
way I am going. Example:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2227L

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT039

The latter is more expensive but comes with more accessories including a
stand *and* is a belt operated.

Meanwhile I keep my eyes glued to the Craigslist.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC