Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Truing up chuck jaws

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jul 9, 8:37 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
You can check if the tool will shave off a fraction of a thousandth
while you're still a few thousandths out and can safely remove and
hone it.

Presumably this is possible only with a QCTP without removing the
toolbit from the holder? If you took it out of a lantern or a rocker
you will never be able to re-insert it in exactly the same way. Or
am I missing something? ... Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

You don't have to reinsert it exactly the same way, you remove and
sharpen the bit while there is still enough extra metal left to take a
fine trial cut and measure.

I see.

One of the things I was not fully aware of is that if one does three passes
with the same (sharp) tool over the same area without changing anything, the
first pass produces sort of peaks and valleys. The second pass will not
follow the path of the first pass exactly and will flatten these peaks. The
third pass will do so even more especially if done at higher speed. Thus the
first measurment would catch the peaks which will not be there after the
second and third pass and the measurment will be less.

I assume this is true even in a perfectly rigid system with an infinitely
sharp tool. Thus the trick is to find out how much the tool will remove
between the first and third pass. Was this what you were referring to in
your first response?

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC