Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Truing up chuck jaws

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

After all -- I don't have to worry about the usual virus
infections with the Sun Workstation. They are all targeted at the
easiest target -- Windows. :-)

Yes. Mine has caught the swine flu I think.

What kind of spam does that send out? (Well ... spam is a pork
product, after all. :-)

It does not. Occasionally it makes pig's breakfast of things in general.

[ ... ]

O.K. If you are considering purchasing a larger lathe (as
suggested by the questions about lubrication), yes it is more than you
need to do.

It is all about understanding the options and then making the right
choice.
The one big unknown is the future performance of the RedNeck beast. I
made a
toolpost for it (well, a boring bar holder really) and it will be ready
go tomorrow. If it does half a decent job the pressure is off.

O.K. Good Luck there.

I have struggeled all afternon with trying to get the chuck and face plate
turn true. I have reduced the wobble to about 0.012" which is realistically
the limit of my ability and the dead-blow hammer. For allI know the thread
on the 1" bolt ("the spindle) has not been cut true. Fancy that! I checked
both the chuck and the face plate lying on their collars and they seem OK.

OTOH mounting the vise in lieu of a cross-slide I was able to achieve less
than 0.001" parallelism (which will presumably last till the next rainy
day).

The biggest disappointment was finding out that if I want to use this vise
as a cross-slide the swing will be reduced to mere 8".

[...]

I guess this is OK up to about 1/2". Economy-wise.

Or one reamer just for the size you need, not a full set.

I have adopted the policy of buying them one at a time depending on the job
at hand. But when they get to 1/2" they start getting quite expensive.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC