Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Water meters

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 15:51:27 -0500, Jules
had this to say:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:51:44 +0100, Dave wrote:
Where would you think they would want to put the meter? It they wanted
to put it in the shed, they wouldn't get access to read it.

We had one here in the US at our last place - although the meter had a
dial readout, it also had a wire pair running to a sensor on the outside
of the house; once in a while the water company would just read it via
the external sensor.

Always wondered how it worked - there was no power to the meter itself, so
presumably nothing in the way of smarts in the meter.

My 'outreader' does apparently have a battery (lithium I believe)
which I was told should last seven or eight years.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland