Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default DAREX M5 was Costco/"Worksmith" 115 drill bit sets saga

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:05:05 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

SNIP

PS: Re. all the chatter about point splitting: I can't imagine why
anyone with machine tools would
be concerned with point splitting. Web thinning, a distant "maybe".

Bob Swinney

Hey Bob,

Gotta agree. 99.999999999% of all the holes I drill are "clearance"
holes. Just want to bolt something together, or drain something. I
just want it to be sharp, and drill quick without requiring an "Old
Man" lever for anything under 3/4".

Take care.

Brian.

There are some good reasons to use split points. They drill with less
effort, and as has been mentioned already, they are more likely to drill
where they're aimed. The split point cuts to center, so the web doesn't
act like a deflector.

Someone already mentioned that split points don't hold up as well. They're
somewhat more fragile, true.

When drilling in a vertical mill, if the job at hand isn't critical, by
using split point screw machine drills, you can avoid center drilling (or
spot drilling, for the CNC folks here).

Harold