Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Getting rid of 'water bugs'

" wrote in news:5efa3c13-345a-
:

I'm in Ft Worth TX and have just recently been getting what I would
call 'water bugs' (dark brown, about 3/4" long, look like BIG roaches)
in my kitchen and bathroom.

Do you have a favorite way of getting rid of these pests without
having to call an exterminator?

TIA

Lewis.

*****

We get em in NC too. Larger than 3/4" On hot, humid nights they really
come out running around the driveway like Times Square on 12/31. The
steps I've done in multiple houses I've had he

- Bomb the house with Raid ® Flea Killer Plus Fogger available
at WalMart.
http://www.killsbugsdead.com/fop_fkpf.asp
The reason I use this is because I have pets
even though they are protected monthly with
Advantage/Frontline.

The residual killer left in the carpet really does
kill them for months.

- Be sure door weatherstripping is good. They're attracted to light
at night, cooler air and water.

- Caulk all areas where devices such as CATV & phone cables, pipes
enter the house.

- Get yourself a gallon of like Ortho Home Defense. The bifenthrin and
others such as Pyrethrins in these does them in even long after
it dries. Once they cross it they croak afterward. Spray
all interior perimeters (carpet/hard floor). Doors sills, jambs,
window tracks. Spray exterior of these as well.

Seems to work for me very well. A more scientific document from the Univ
of FL at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG082