Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Deck screw driver- what do you use?

On Jul 9, 3:35*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 06:57:27 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

There is a much simpler and cheaper solution. !!!! USE NAILS !!!!

*No electricity needed.
*No drill to ruin.
*Nails are cheaper than screws.
*You get exercise which you'd have to pay for at a gym.
*You will impress women if you can drive a nail with two hammer blows.

yabbut,

Nails are often driven using electricity ...

WTF...... Where did you buy an electric powered hammer? *How does it
work?

Google it. It's basically a palm nailer on a stick.

Screws can still be driven without electricity ...

Yea, use a screwdriver and ruin your wrists if you got a hundred or
more to drive. *I can hammer in 100 nails in no time at all.

I can drive 100 screws in less than no time at all...'course we're
both exaggerating to the point of meaningless, but it's fun, right?

(and if you are referring to a battery operated drill when you say
"without electricity", you're full of ****. *That IS electricity and
it takes electric power to charge them. *

Then you can have all the fun of stopping the job everytime the
battery runs out of power. *The last time I was driving screws to
install a steel roof, a major storm was coming and the goddamn battery
went dead just when the rain was starting and I was sliding around on
the wet roof, while strong wind was lifting the sheet of metal I had
just started to screw down. *Thats when I took that #&%king drill and
threw it off the roof, smashing it into pieces, and used a hammer to
drive the rest of the screws. *I have never bought another battery
operated tool. *I hate them! *I now use an electric (plug in) drill on
the rare occasion I use screws. *Most of the time I use nails.

So...you go up on a roof without a spare battery, and it's the tools
fault? Then you smash it? Sounds like you need a class in anger
management and need to take a moment before you climb the ladder.

People have used nails for hundreds of years, and there are many
buildings that are well over 100 years old, which are still strong and
in good shape. *In most cases, nails hold just as well as screws as
long as the proper nail is used. *It's just more false advertising
that has brainwashed people in the past decade or so, about screws
supposedly being better. *Of course anyone with half a brain knows
that they do this because they make more profit selling screws than
selling nails. *I use screws when I install steel barn siding and
roofing, simply because its easier to replace the steel if it gets
damaged or I add on to the building. *I NEVER use screws to join
lumber in building construction. *Not even for drywall. *When I built
my deck, I used galvanized spiral nails and not one nail has popped.

A screw will hold in new lumber far better than a nail will. I don't
have a major problem with nailing drywall on old, seasoned framing,
but new framing shrinks and the nails pop. If you had ever used a
auto screwgun for fastening drywall, instead of throwing out the baby
with the bath water, you would have found that the screw gun is faster
and you get perfectly set fasteners whether you're paying attention or
not.

People throw out the "well, they've been building buildings that way
for hundreds of years" and fail to mention that most of those
buildings are long gone. If you truly want to be a retro-grouch you
should start touting timber framing and pegged mortise and tenon
joints. That's better than nails or screws.