Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default laminate floor over cruddy vinyl tile -- subfloor?

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I have a home office, which I want to re-floor with floating laminate
(Pergo, locking glueless). I pulled up the old carpet and
pad, and discovered (instead of the nice neat concrete I
was hoping for) two problems:

a) the previous floor was some sort of linoleum tile which, given the
age of the addition, may contain nasty stuff including asbestos.
Two thirds of this is in good condition, the rest is falling apart.

b) One area is bare concrete, but is not even with the rest
(off by 1/4 or so).

I can solve (b) by using a leveling compound, but not (a). My wife
is very concrned about asbestos exposure, and
the crumbly areas are nasty anyway.

I'm considering sealing off the previous floor with a plywood/OSB
subfloor. And using shims in the uneven part.

And I'm looking for advice:

-- floating, or nailed into the concrete?
-- What's the best material to use?
And vapor barrier underneath, on top, or both?

The whole room's floor is below that of an adjoining room anyway
(used to be a garage), so raising its floor height isn't an issue.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Check out Trafficmaster Allure Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring at
Homedepot.com..I have seen it in a couple of homes...Really looks great and
so easy to put down that my dad with no experience at flooring has done most
of his 200 year old house with VERY uneven floors with it...The edges are
self addhesive which forms a waterproof seal..It is very forgiving of bad
floors..It would seal the old floor...Here is the stats..

Easy GripStripT installation - Lays directly over your old floor; no floor
prep or messy glue needed! Looks and feels like real wood. feel the knots!
Completely waterproof. Perfect in high moisture areas. basements, kitchens,
and bathrooms. Warm comfort and quiet under foot. Install an entire floor
cleanly, easily in just a few hours. 25 year residential warranty.

a.. Oak Finish
b.. Super durable and completely waterproof
c.. Unique interlocking-edge design for simple installation
d.. Simply lay overlapping GripStripT of one plank on adjacent plank and
press together. No other adhesive required. Minimal trimming involved. Just
score and snap!
e.. Sold by the box, each covers 24 Sq. Ft.