Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default OT Bedroom safe

Ignoramus10294 wrote:
On 2009-07-09, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Short of placing it in a basement and doing a major heavy duty job of
securing it to floor and foundation walls there isn't much you can do to
keep thieves from ripping out and carting away anything small enough for
you to have installed in the first place.

Better to go with stealth, maybe like this:

http://livesafely.org/home-security/...n-a-wall-safe/

But, DON'T mount it in the bedroom. That's the room thieves know most
people keep or hide valuables in. Pick a laundry area or even the kitchen.

Jeff, I do not keep my valuables (read cash and remainder of my silver) in
the bedroom, personally. I keep them where they are hard to find.

But bedroom is where women try jewelry, that is why I want a safe
there.

With a good enough safe, if I attach it to the floor and the wall with
lag screws, it will probably be hard enough to remove.

Not sure about where you live, but out here
in N. California, about the only thieves
we ever get are smash-and-grab kids and tweekers.
They want to be in and out in 5 minutes, so
the most important aspect of security is stealth.