Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liability & responsibility of electrician?

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
:

I never
said the NEC was law. I said they are CODES.

You also said local code "could not ignore any aspect of it", as if
to say they were bound by it. They are not.

If you ever study the NEC, you'll notice there's a LOT of gobbledygoop
in there about standards so high that MOST local codes ignore those
things for residential construction.

I'll hold. IF the structure was wired under permit, and passed the
inspection, the insurance companies CANNOT legally refuse to pay on
that basis. They might do it, but the homeowner would have recourse.

Your comment about the barn was non-sequitor. Almost all Ag buildings
are treated differently than residences for insurance purposes. If
your residence is on the same property as the barn, for instance, you
might be able to cover it for household contents (as in, "stored in
the barn"), but you'll almost certainly need a separate policy just
for the barn, if you wish to insure its whole value.

This part, I know well. I have an 8000sq.ft. barn on the same 20
acres on which I live. It's "A1" (ag) property. For yet another
$1200 per year, I can insure the barn. Elsewise, it's worth $8,000,
according to the insurance folks.

LLoyd