Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default laminate floor over cruddy vinyl tile -- subfloor?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

: hazard. Once covered, they will really be out of the way. use leveling
: compound and then use the recommended sheet barrier or cushion under the
: floor.

I'm hoing to locate a local dealer Delta-FL, which looks like an excellent
product for this (it's a heavy, dimpled polystyrene subfloor).

I'd still like to encapsulate the old, flaking tiles (and they
are tiles, not sheet vinyl) with something -- any suggestions?
I'm thinking of something like a really heavy latex I can
roll on or something. I know I ran across a link to such a product
yesterday, but now I can't find it.

Rather that laminate, I'd use engineered wood since it is much
: better looking than the plastic stuff. Easier to cut also.

I'm using a laminate that looks quite good (bamboo-like), and it's harder
than any engineered hardwood flooring (or non-engineered) I've ever seen.

-- Andy