Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Stickley Craftmanship?

The days and reputation of a few old, grumpy and fussy wooddorkers in
their leather aprons has long since evaporated.
You just cannot mechanize 'hand-crafted'.
Then there are materials and processes (like ammonia fuming) which
would drive the environmentalists around the bend..(often the same
yuppies who love to buy Stickley, btw.).

Amen.

We bought some Richardson Brothers bedroom furniture years ago.
Granted, not as well know as Stickley but very nicely made traditional
furniture. Design, workmanship and finish is top-notch. We dropped
into a showroom a year or so ago that does sell nice stuff, including
some of their own custom made furniture. The sales guy/furniture
designer was apologetic about his Richardson Brothers furniture and
for good reason.

Apparently they let the finance guys occupy the design and fabrication
facilities. Approaching Rent-A-Center quality.

He was discontinuing as soon as he sold off his inventory.

RonB