Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default friends working together in shop

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote in message

My first thoughts on any of these silly ass law suits for big money is
that everyone is on the take, the lawyers, the plaintiff, the defendant,
the judge, the insurance guys, all of them or most of them.

I recall reading a short article in the newspaper in the 70's where a guy
took his wife on an African Safari where she was stepped on by an
elephant. She sued her husband for $1 million (which was worth a bit in
the 70's) and she WON so his insurance company had to fork over the tax
free cash. The news article listed their names, the names of the
attorneys, and the names of the judge and I think the name of the
insurance agent that paid the claim. It seemed clear that everyone was in
cahoots far as I could tell, and I think the reason the reporter listed
all the names was to lead the reader to my conclusion, even though it
wasn't actually said.

I think your memory of that event might have faded some. Insurance agents
don't pay claims.

True enough, insurance company paid the claim.

Nothing else about the story sounds plausible given the
way insurance works, but I wouldn't go any further than to say something
doesn't sound right about it.

Hey, it was in the newspaper, how could anything not be right about it:-)

For some reason - and I may be wrong, but I
thought a wife could not sue her husband for this kind of thing. Then there
is the matter of the insurance itself - what kind of policy was it (I
wonder...), and if they were married, it seems odd that she was not on the
policy as well, which would make it impossible for her to sue. That though,
is nothing more than a pondering sort of question.

I'm not a lawyer, just what I recall was in the article, about 40 years
ago. Point is however, that since then, I have seen lots of silly law
suits and I'm always VERY suspicious of what is really going on behind
the scenes.

Another one more recent was a local radio guy was on every morning and
he did a lot of talking, a lot of sexually explicit humor. He used to
do all sorts of sexual banter with some chick, a program
director/manager or some such broad working at the station. She used to
participate in it with him, some funny stuff. One day, she decided to
sue the dumb ass for sexual harassment type of charges. Any how, it was
really stupid because she was on the radio occasionally with him,
seemingly going along with all the fun. Didn't matter of course, she
won a $600,000 settlement from the radio station. Now, in my mind, I
can see her and the radio guy spitting the cash ripped from the radio
station (insurance company?) It just didn't seem right, and even if
they weren't in cahoots, it still didn't seem right, and I can easily
see how crooked pricks, along with a crooked legal system, crooked
lawyers and so on could use the system, which is obviously broken, to
their advantage.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/