Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Spreadsheet help

Nick wrote:
Martin wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
if KWh is above 670 then C23-670 multipy by C29, but if below 670,
then answer should be 0 (zero)

Google for "open office if statements".

It's probably

=IF(c31670;(c23-670)*c29;0)

if I've got the cell numbers right. There's probably a more elegant
way ....

Not sure if it's any more elegant, but having used MIN for the first
670, the_constructor could use =MAX(0;(c23-670)*c29). And I don't see
any advantage in not combining the two elements in one cell, per my
original post.

I think you are right and I have, to a certain extent, programmed
spreadsheets professionally.

Max and Min are not so much "more elegant" but I would say "more easily
understandable".

Hope that makes you feel better ;o)

Well, the OP's original question was expressed in IF terms and, to a
beginner, this seems like a logical extension of the way we think.
"What do you want to see in cell A10?"
"Er, that depends. If this, then that, but, if not, then something else"
I got by quite nicely with IFs until they got so long and full of
brackets I was forced to learn a bit more.