Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default laminate floor over cruddy vinyl tile -- subfloor?

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
a) the previous floor was some sort of linoleum tile which, given the
age of the addition, may contain nasty stuff including asbestos.
Two thirds of this is in good condition, the rest is falling apart.

b) One area is bare concrete, but is not even with the rest
(off by 1/4 or so).

I can solve (b) by using a leveling compound, but not (a). My wife
is very concrned about asbestos exposure, and
the crumbly areas are nasty anyway.

I'm considering sealing off the previous floor with a plywood/OSB
subfloor. And using shims in the uneven part.

If it is sheet goods as opposed it square tiles, it is probably not anything
with asbestos. Even if it is, the fibers are contained in the tile and not a
hazard. Once covered, they will really be out of the way. use leveling
compound and then use the recommended sheet barrier or cushion under the
floor. Rather that laminate, I'd use engineered wood since it is much
better looking than the plastic stuff. Easier to cut also.