Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak Veneer Plywood Quality

Well of course testing the best methods with some cutoff or on an
extra sheet can help you dial in a working process.

First step I always take when working with veneer ply is to sand the
face myself, regradless of what it looks like. This is typically to
make sure I get similar stain absorbtion as the solid stock usually
included somewhere in the piece by sanding the solid stock with the
same steps, 120, 150, 220, etc. However, I think this can also help
with making the color lay down be a little more consistent.

With Red Oak I usually use a multi-step process. First step is to use
a base color a little lighter than I want to finish. I use typical oil
stain Minwax, etc. After it dries I apply a thin coat of shellac.
After that dries I use a super dark gel stain and grind it into the
grain to really make the grain lines dark. I really flood the surface
and then when I start to do the wipe down I use a ringed out rag
wetted with mineral oil and leave behind as much of the darker color
as I want sort of filmed over the top. If it starts to llok crappy,
you can start completly over as long as it hasn't dried out. I usually
leave it thicker in the corners and crevices for an antiquing effect
but you don't need to do that. I can usually hide or blend out
blotchyness from the first color by doing this over;lay color.

On Jul 8, 11:54*am, RonB wrote:
I have built countless projects from hardwood veneer ply over the
years with pretty good success.....until lately. * I expect the veneer
on ply to stain with a little softer grain definition than solid
wood. *And I expect big-box ply to appear less crisp, but still stain
evenly.

While building our house, I bought higher dollar 3/4" oak veneer
plywood from a local lumber yard and the sheets looked first-rate off
of the truck. *Very smooth surface, no corner dings, well matched
veneer edges and even the back side looked very crisp. *We built two
matching cabinets for our master closet and the first stained
blotchy. *Almost reminded me of staining pine without conditioning.
We wiped the second down with pre-stain conditioner (which I have
never had to do before) and it was.... well, less blotchy. *In
addition to blotch, the grain crispness was pretty much on par with
what I expect from 1/4" luan-based ply that is sometimes used in
cabinet backs. *In other words, soft looking and absent of any sharp
grain appearance.

Anyone else have similar experience with veneer plywood lately? *Also,
any cures? *I am getting ready to start a fireplace surround that will
be of panel construction with several oak ply panels. *I would like to
do better this time.

RonB