Posted to rec.woodworking
D'ohBoy D'ohBoy is offline

Default Building a mast

On Jul 8, 12:05*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message
use it for a mandrel and make a carbon fiber tube by wrapping it around.

you
can get prepeg fiber tape for not very much. do a thick buildup in the
places where you need the attachments, but you won't need any of the
hardware that simply holds it together. you'll just need to vacuum bag it
when curing. after you're done, you should be able to lift the tube with

one
hand, it will be so light.

Norm did a show I saw where he built a mast out of sections if I remember
rightly. The op might want to look into that.

That was a flagpole if we are thinking of the same episode.

--
Froz...

Sailed a lot of scow during my teen/college years... A, E, M20.... You
could more easily post to a scow sailing forum and buy a aluminum mast
for cheaper than building the new one (time IS money). But if you
have more time than money....

Reminds me of the CF mast that Harken built for one of the brother's A
scow - three cf tubes joined by alu triangular sections (point
forward) and a track for the mainsail boltrope mounted to the rear of
the triangular sections. Folded like three of them expensive suckers
before they gave up on the concept.

D'ohBoy