Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Plumber's tape needed?

In article , Jack Stein wrote:
Upscale wrote:
I've just picked up a new portable compressor, hose and an array of fittings
~ all connections will be brass to brass. Do I need plumber's tape for these
fittings or should I be fine with just the brass to brass? I was wondering
what others have done?

I don't see any need for tape or dope on compression fittings.

Compressed air fittings are not the same as compression fittings.

Non-compression fittings need tape or dope regardless of what they are
made of?

Tape or dope should be used for all fittings for ease of proper assembly. The
joint won't seal unless it's tight, and the tape or dope reduces friction,
making it easier to get the joint tight. And it's pretty much mandatory for
anything that might be disassembled later.