Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default How to choose a machine oil for the lathe headstock?

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 18:39:02 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

BIG BIG SNIP
3) What is wrong with just grabbing a bottle of 75W-90 or higher gear oil
off the automotive shelf? Do any of those have detergents? I could find no
evidence that this is the case. Most product informations sheet contain
results of the copper strip test.

MORE SNIP

Hey Michael,

About this point 3) only..... Some smaller or entry level geared-head
lathes that have no pressure oiler component are "lubed" by the
lighter weight oil "slinging" (like the big end of an auto engine
splashing in the pan). They won't have designed slingers per se, but
merely by running some gear component in the bath throws oil
EVERYWHERE (that's why they leak so bad). That won't happen with the
hypoid gear lube products.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps...Don't forget my suggestion to ask any elevator guy for a gallon
of Tellus 32 (or Rando, or Harmony, or or or). Another posters idea
about donuts sounds good!! Park at any downtown Timmy's about 9:30
and look for a van with a company logo.