Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Repair rough spot ("chip") in granite countertop

On Jul 8, 12:06*am, blueman wrote:
We have a variegated red/orange/gray/black granite countertop. While
cleaning it, I notice a couple of small (dime size) very shallow
depressions with a rough surface. I'm not sure if it is due to a
"chip" or if it is a natural defect -- either way it disturbs the
smooth polished surface.

Neither my wife or I are aware of how it happened but it probably was
damaged by the previous homeowner or came that way.

I know that you can pay an installer big $$$$ to fix it, but I am
looking for a DIY approach. In fact, the chips are not bad enough to
be worth the multiple hundreds of dollars that I believe a pro will
charge to come to my house.

Some people have recommended an "acrylic" patch kit that is UV cured
and then polished. One example is "ProCaliber Products Granite &
Marble Acrylic Pro Repair Kit - Clear LCA Paste" -- (Seehttp://www.acrylicrepair.com/repair-kits/index.php?main_page=product_...)

It seems like the "pros" use epoxy and granite dust but I haven't
found a kit online.

- Any experiences or recommendations in DIY repair of such chips and
* defects in granite countertops?
- Are there any DIY kits or methods that truly give professional-like
* results that make the patch (almost) invisible?

Thanks

If real granite, I'm told, there is nothing you can do. But, I
suspect your's is acrylic containing granite chips and acrylic repair
should work but color match may be difficult.