Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How to choose a machine oil for the lathe headstock?

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 5:36 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I haven't seen motor oil that was non-detergent for at least 40 years.
Maybe
for farm machinery or something similar. All of the non-detergent oil I've
seen is sold as machine oil and I've seen it mostly in mill supply stores.

Ed Huntress

You just have not been looking. Walmart sells ND motor oil. Not sure
why other people buy it, but it is generally recommended for use in
lawn mowers and similar gas engines that have no oil filter.

I can see that, but my lawnmower gets whatever is left over from the last
time I changed the oil in the car. g

--
Ed Huntress