Posted to sci.electronics.repair
landed elephant landed elephant is offline

Default Need help finding chip replacement...

Located a damaged small (half inch long) 8 pin DIP chip (4 pins either
side) with the following on it:

First Line: 4800
Second Line: (some one or two character logo that looks like it starts
with an 'S') BI(character representing capital Greek delta)
Third Line: L37A

The package is very small and the same kind of chip is scattered in
various places across this Compaq DS512U laptop motherboard. Want to
replace it and see if it will work. Company is trying to charge 500
for a replacement board.

The damaged chip is located under one of the fans.

Tried chipsearch.com and several others but no luck. The way these
chips are scattered all over, my guess is that capacitance is built
into these chips but don't really know. Used to the big canisters...

L37A might be the package type but not sure.

Any gurus out there that can
#1 identify the chip
and
#2: recommend an actively distributed replacement?
or
#3: point me to a better forum for post?

Thanks!