Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plumber's tape needed?

"Tom Veatch" wrote:

Contrary to Lew's experience, I get better results wrt leakfree
joints
using the tape than I do with the paste. YMMV, but some sort of
sealant should be used.

You NEVER want to use Teflon tape on combustion plumbing.

Sooner or later, bits of the tape will break free and end up plugging
the combustion orifices.

A principle of mine was paid in excess of $10,000 for a service call
to a refinery for a piece of combustion equipment they had sold that
the refinery installed.

Emergency travel, weekend service rates, car rentals, etc, etc, all to
discover a plugged orifice from Teflon tape.

It was rookie mistake by a refinery worker.

Less than 15 minutes to solve the problem, but still had a $10,000
invoice to pay.

Lew