Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Hanrail and Spindle Qs

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am looking at replacing 70s ranch style bannister with hand rail and
spindles (B&Q sell Richard Burbidge stuff which looks good but is pricey).
My question relates to the fixing of the hand rail to the newel post at each
end.
We intend to live with the existing newel posts (refurbed and painted white)
but to use oak hand rail and spindles (SWMBO's idea).
Question: alongside the handrail was a long screw-type fixing and it
appeared that one of these was fitted to the display layout.
Is this all that holds the handrail to the newel, a single screw passing
through the full width of the newel and into the hanrail end?
There seemed to be some clip-type thing in the screw packaging but there
were no instructions on fitting.

If in doubt just cut a tenon on the end of the handrail and mortice in
the newel. You can "spring" it into place before the spindles are fitted.

--
Cheers,

John.