Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default TOT halogen efficiency

On 5 July, 23:49, John Rumm wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Andrew Gabriel
Again , your suggestions for currently availabke suitable replacement
lighting?
Your source for beleiving MR16 will be "outlawed" within 5 years?
I did not see Andy make reference to MR16 in particular. However the
general EU timetable is described at the end of this document:

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/efficiency/ecodesign/doc/committee/2008_12....

I took the inference that he was refering to MR16 both LV and GU10
being ill advised for a new installation because of an uncertain
future.

I expect his ire was more focussed on GU10 in particular than the
overall form factor. However I stand to be corrected.

Problem is people read it as all MR16 format lighting including LV.

The timetable relies on suitable alternatives being developed , for a
lot of uses of MR16 lamps there is no current or on the horizon
replacement.

Well the difficulty is who gets to decide what is "suitable". Many would
argue that there is currently no suitable replacement for a 100W GLS
bulb - the alternatives having poorer colour rendition and/or slow warm
up times, or incompatibility with dimmers, plus a range of other
problems. However this does not seem to have stopped the powers that be
from suggesting that these can be replaced with CFL substitutes.

More than suggesting :-(

Ingo Maurer, lighting designer who came up with LV MR16 lights on
wires amongst other things, protests ;-)

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/8/view/6169/ingo-maurer-euro-condom.html

Cheers
Adam

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|