Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia jeff_wisnia is offline

Default What kind of socket is this?

wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:50:25 -0700 (PDT), genkuro
wrote:

Hi -

Just moved in. The house has a gas dryer hookup. We of course have
an electric dryer.

I did notice a heavy duty socket on the wall. It looks a lot like a
NEMA TT30
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_co..._TT.E2.80.9330)
but with vertical slots instead of the 45 degree angled slots. The
house was build in the early 80's. Any ideas at all on what this
could be? Any chance of hooking a dryer to it?

Not too hopeful. But I thought it's worth asking. Short of using
that outlet, what should I expect to pay a contractor to run a proper
250V socket? The garage is finished.

Thanks!
Brian

That is NOT a socket. A socket is a device where you screw in a
lightbulb, or a type of wrench used mostly by auto mechanics.

The correct word is RECEPTACLE, but OUTLET is also acceptable.

You're correct of course.

But I often wonder just who it was who first applied the terms male and
female with respect to electrical connectors. G

But, some recepticals are still called sockets to make limericks rhyme:

Lim Time!

If she's hot and you sure can not block it,
And your pulse rate goes up like a rocket,
Then lust's spark has hit,
And you just need to fit.
Your plug in her very tight socket.

Jeff