Wade Lippman

Default Penn State DC1B-XL: 1 or 5 Micron Bag?

"David Patnaude" wrote in message
"Wade Lippman" wrote in
:

What is the difference between Penn State and other brands you
referred to? I was thinking about Delta's A400. Penn State claims to
be quieter, more powerful, and with a 5 micron rather than 30 micron
bag, but about $60 more. Is there more to it than that?

What is involved in changing the PS to 240v? The Delta requires a new
switch, which is a real turn off.

Thanks.

A few more differences that I see:

The PSI is a 16oz felt bag with triple stitched seams vs a woven bag with
single stitch seams. To purchase the PSI 1 micron bag alone is $75.The

bags
are aslo larger in volume, more surface area.

Higher CFM. PSI states 850 cfm vs 650 cfm for the others. A review I saw
listed actual cfm tests for a clean bag and 10' of pipe and also simulated
a caked bag and more piping for a central system. The PSI had 665 and 420
cfm where the Delta 50-840 (replaced by AP400 I think) had 440 and 365

cfm.
350 cfm is needed for the majority of my tools.

I also like the option of using 2 - 4" lines from the DC or running just a
5" trunk line.

I am not sure on the noise of the Delta, but I know that this DC will be
quieter than my current shop vac setup. A cousin has a Delta in a basement
shop and his family does complain. I couldn't find a decibel rating for

the
Delta to compare the 62 db of the PSI. My shop vac is at 88 db.

I haven't really checked the issue with re-wiring to 220v. That is not an
option for me right now, but PSI indicated that it is just a wiring change
and not replacing parts.

One question I still have is the amps for each of these. The PSI is listed
at 16/8 for 220/110. The Delta is 9/4.5. Usual ruale of thumb is 9 amps

per
HP. I can't believe that the Delta is that much more efficient of a motor
that it can produce 1 HP on only 4.5 amps.

Thanks for the input. Somewhere I saw the Delta rated at 84db, though the
one I heard in the store sounded more like 70 or so; you could have a
conversation near it, but you had to kinda yell.
I am also confused by HP and amp ratings. I am looking to buy a saw and
Jet's 1.5hp is 18 amps, while deltas is 15amps. I don't know what that
means.