Thread: UK Van in Spain
View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default UK Van in Spain

On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:04:29 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

That was not my experience. The police said I had to report to the local Tüv station
(German MOT) where they would give me a report on how my car failed to meet German
regulations. While I was in the waiting room the solicitor assigned to me by my employer
(IBM) - she was also the MEP - turned up and she and the garage manager retired to
a room where all the legal books were kept. They found EU legislation which said the
German police couldn't touch me until I had been there for 12 months, and I was given
a letter by the solicitor to show to any police who stopped me.
I checked with Swansea and they said I didn't need a tax disc if I was not using UK roads.

I'm not denying your experience _in_ _Germany_. However, Germany is not Spain - and
Spain is 17 autonomous regions (rather like Wales and Scotland are to the United Kingdom)
each one with their own local laws and regultaions.

The practical situation, in 2009, for an individual who has neither the money or legal
representation of a multi-billion dollar company behind them, nor the time to go through
european law is very different.
If the local police don't like your paperwork - whether it ultimately turns out to be
legal or not: under their local laws, spanish national law or european law, is largely
immaterial - you will probably get fined. You may even get towed. Waving your arms
(metaphorically) and yelling at them in english won't help your situation, either.

The best thing to do is try to prevent the possibililty, by having everything in
order, making sure there are no external reasons (damage, faults, lack of or outdated
tax disk), and not ****ing-off the men with guns.