Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default What kind of socket is this?

wrote:

Not too hopeful. But I thought it's worth asking. Short of using
that outlet, what should I expect to pay a contractor to run a proper
250V socket? The garage is finished.

That is NOT a socket. A socket is a device where you screw in a
lightbulb, or a type of wrench used mostly by auto mechanics.

No! The latter is a "ring spanner". And light bulbs (note: two words)
are pushed in and twisted; they aren't screwed in.

We allowed you murricans to use our language, but if you don't use it
properly we'll withdraw the permission. :-)

The correct word is RECEPTACLE, but OUTLET is also acceptable.

I think I grew up calling it a "power point".

Perce