Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Dribble to Flood Cooling on a Lathe

In article ,

On 2009-07-06, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2009-07-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2009-07-05, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I've seen these guards, which are intended to satisfy OSHA, don't
mention their performance as a splash shield, and cost $200 to $300.

I bought mine on ebay for much less than that, very well worth the
money.
It was $45, IIRC.

That's better! What kind?

It was a nicely bent acrylic shield with a hinge, I could not possibly
do as nice job bending. I can take a picture if you want.

I'll probably make one, but a photo would be appreciated.

I will take a picture, I thought that I had one.

Thanks.

And yes..I use Full Flood cooling whenever the lathe is cutting
anything
besides brass and plastic. Good old fashion nasty high sulphur
cutting
oil is in each of my lathes. And I dont every have any problems
with
burning out inserts bits etc etc.

I thought of oil, but didn't like the fire hazard in my basement, so
went to soluble oil. I would guess that oil is less prone to being
flung, but makes a bigger mess when it does.

I was testing parting off with dribble to flood today. Running in
reverse with upsidedown 2mm sgih blade under power feed, I was being too
stingy and/or missing the little slot with the coolant, and the 1018
steel wadded up and broke the carbide tooth with a bang.

seems like climbing?

Climbing? I'm not sure what you mean, but this is not a mill.

Your round part climbed the cutter, was my supposition.

Yes, but the question is Why?

Insufficient lubrication, so a wad of steel grew and welded to the
sidewalls of the 2mm groove. The lathe had the oomph to keep on going.
Not so the carbide insert. Glad it didn't mangle the blade.

When I looked at the groove left by the dearly departed carbide insert
with bright light and magnifier, there was a very obvious circular gouge
of increasing galling of the sidewall, growing deeper in a single turn,
until it overwhelmed the carbide insert. The wad of gathered 1018 steel
was a bit wider than the groove, leaving torn gouges in the sidewalls.
The wad was cyclically welding to the sidewalls and tearing loose, until
the wad was too big to chew.

Giving it a sufficient flood prevented this cascade of troubles.

yep

Next time, new tooth and far more coolant, no problem. But blue stuff
everywhere.

I would go faster once you have some sort of a shield.

That is the plan. I've been running at ~500 rpm. I now understand why
modern CNC lathes (now called machining centers) are fully enclosed,
with a sliding door in front. Milky coolant everywhere while running,
so you cannot see a thing.

They usually spray coolant at higher pressure too.

Full enclosure required for sure.

Joe Gwinn