Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARY CONVERTER

"dave" wrote in message
must be getting TRULY stupider. just remembered I have (at another
location) a few OTHER 3 phase motors I 'could, in theory' start and run
'no load' off the same (undersized?) rotary converter, when/while I'm
running/cutting with the 5 hp unisaw.

seem to recall reading that running OTHER three-phase motors at the SAME
Time does some sort of 'magic electrical thing' where the other motors
running act like some sort of 'electrical cushion' or something like that
(or running others at the same time has 'SOME sort of beneficial effect',
the exact nature of which effect I'm unclear on). what am I talking about?
:-)

thanks again, guys :-)

toolie 'still with the smoke in, so far...'

let me suggest that you just hook it up and run it - the saw motor itself
will be the "other" 3 phase motor - Honest, you only need them for starting
and for a peak load - you could start it and then turn off the converter and
it would run fine