Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default Rotation detection?

Buerste wrote:
Imagine a simple fractional hp DC gearmotor with a torque limiter or torque
limiting clutch that powers a small machine at 60 or so RPM. Lets say the
machine jams and the torque limiting device kicks out. How can I cheaply,
easily sense this condition and turn off the motor?

This is a personal project and when I get it running it will amaze and
astound!

This is a maybe, since I don't have details of the application. Use a
PTC thermistor (fuse type) limiter for the motor. Let the PTC perform
the torque limiting. Put the LED (properly current limited) of an
optocoupler across the thermistor. When the thermistor goes high
resistance, there will be enough voltage across the optocoupler input to
turn it on. The output of the optocoupler goes back to your office, or
wherever.

Kevin Gallimore