Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What kind of socket is this?

On Jul 6, 11:50*am, genkuro wrote:
Hi -

Just moved in. *The house has a gas dryer hookup. *We of course have
an electric dryer.

I did notice a heavy duty socket on the wall. *It looks a lot like a
NEMA TT30
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_co..._TT.E2.80.9330)
but with vertical slots instead of the 45 degree angled slots. *The
house was build in the early 80's. *Any ideas at all on what this
could be? *Any chance of hooking a dryer to it?

Not too hopeful. *But I thought it's worth asking. *Short of using
that outlet, what should I expect to pay a contractor to run a proper
250V socket? *The garage is finished.

Thanks!
Brian

The garage is finished

What's this got to do with your situation?

what should I expect to pay a contractor to run a proper 250V
socket?

Any where from "pretty reasonable" to "go buy a gas dryer, it'll be a
lot cheaper"

We don't know where you live so how could we quote labor/parts costs?
We don't know the condition/size of your service, so how could we tell
you if it could handle a 250 appliance without an upgrade? There's far
too many variables for anyone to give you an estimate that would be
meaningful.

The only thing I will suggest is that after you get a estimate from a
local contractor, get a price for a gas dryer and see how much you can
get for your electric one. You might find that it's a lot more cost
effective in the long run to sell and switch, unless you're on some
sort of cheap "village electric".