Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Eric is offline

Default "What Sherlock did this?"

"WhiteTea77581" wrote in message
I thought it might be entertaining to see posts of your favorite
experience with someone else's "Handiwork."

Two of my favorites.

1. My brother and I found voltages of 33 and 66 volts at a house that
someone was fixing up to sell.
2. Telephone wire used to wire up a fluorescent light in a restaurant.

Andy

Not a safety issue but nevertheless pretty stupid...

Scenario: you're an HVAC "professional" installing a 2-zone heat + A/C system in a new house. You
get to the part where you're wiring the downstairs thermostat to the zone controller. The
connection requires cable with 6 wires. You only have 5-wire cable in your truck. Do you:
1) Go get some 7-wire cable, available almost anywhere (this is in MA, there have to be 10 HVAC
supply houses within 5 miles), and wire it correctly.

2) Kludge it with 5-wire cable, scribbling instructions on the zone controller for the homeowner
to move wires and jumpers around inside the controller to switch from heating to cooling mode.

Guess which option the guy chose?

Eric Law

PS Don't know if it was the same guy, but the house had an oil-fired water heater in addition to the
furnace, and a power vent. When both operated at the same time, the power vent wiring bridged two
branch circuits together. I found this out the hard way when I moved one circuit to a breaker that
was on the opposite phase ;^)