Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18221 Ignoramus18221 is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARYCONVERTER

On 2009-07-06, dave wrote:
must be getting TRULY stupider. just remembered I have (at another
location) a few OTHER 3 phase motors I 'could, in theory' start and run
'no load' off the same (undersized?) rotary converter, when/while I'm
running/cutting with the 5 hp unisaw.

seem to recall reading that running OTHER three-phase motors at the SAME
Time does some sort of 'magic electrical thing' where the other motors
running act like some sort of 'electrical cushion' or something like
that (or running others at the same time has 'SOME sort of beneficial
effect', the exact nature of which effect I'm unclear on). what am I
talking about? :-)

All the "other" motors, when running, form a network that improves
capacity to deliver power to the "third leg".

My phase converter has two motors inside it, for example.