Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Painting pebbledush (spar dash actually)

JoeJoe wrote:

Our 1960's house has a spar dash exterior (small sharp stones, pebbledash
style).When we had our extension built a couple of years ago the builder
tried hard to match the new and old exteriors, but it doesn't look very
attractive. Despite the well documented reservations (once you do it has to
be repeated on a regular basis, etc) we decided to go ahead and paint the
house white.

Having never attempted to do it before we have a few questions for the
panel:

Roller, with thick pile roller insert. Maybe worth buying a 12" version.
Paint brush around window frames, 3" thick pile brush.
Roller bucket for the paint, not a tray. Pole for fitting on the end of
the roller. Great for reaching 8 feet from 1 position, no need to go
right to the top of the gable end.
Sandtex Trade masonry paint. Get it from a decorator/paint merchant. You
wont need an account to buy it, they sell to anyone. Normal Sandtex is
different, dont believe B+Q when they say it is the same.
Use smooth paint, the textured is slightly harder to put on, and the
texture tends to sink in both the paint pot and bucket.
No primer, put the Sandtex straight on.
Dont bother with cheap own brand paints from B+Q/Wilkinsons. It is
rubbish
Use loads of paint, dont skimp on it, you may get away with one coat
then. More than likely to need 2 coats though.
Can be recoated when it is touch dry, probably 4 hours when cool, 1 hour
in hot sun.
Budget for 40 litres or so of paint.Maybe more. Yes really.

I've done 4 houses this year, and all customers have been very happy
with the results.
Alan.