Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Painting radiators

Mike wrote:
On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:21:15 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Mike wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:52:06 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Peter Twydell wrote:
What's the best way to key the paint on steel panel radiators
before repainting? Sandpaper, wet or dry, flapwheel, something
chemical?

None of the above.
Use steel wool and lightly rub down, especially inside the grooves

I want to use emulsion to match the walls and then cover with
International Radiator Clearcoat.

If you rub too hard and take it down to bare metal, rust spots will
show through emulsion, touch these up with oil based undercoat
prior to emulsioning

Can you really emulsion a radiator and hope it stays on?

Mike P

This is what happens when people believe the crap they see in B&Q -
'kitchen ceiling paint', 'bathroom paint' - as if no other paint is
suitable!!

FWIW, you can paint anything you like, with whatever paint you like,
providing it's indoors - I've witnessed lounge ceilings painted with
gloss and a tumble drier painted with pink emulsion - both looked
revolting but the paint stayed on.

My question was ... can you paint a rad with EMULSION paint and expect
it to stay on when the rad heats up and expands ?

can you paint a rad with ANY KIND OF paint and expect it to stay on when the
rad heats up and expands ?

The answer is yes

The Bathroom and Kitchen paint that you see in the sheds are more
suitable for those rooms than just matt emulsion.
They are wipable and will withstand a steamy atmosphere and not absorb
moisture and peel off.

Whatever did we do before these were invented? - oh I remember, we used
emulsion paint, which was wipable and didn't peel off

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008