Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Martin Martin is offline

Default Spreadsheet help

"the_constructor" wrote in message ...
Got a little problem trying to sort out a formula for a spreadsheet. Yes,
some of you may think that I should use a different group, but all the
computer groups are not as helpful as this group.

Can anyone help ?

C23 = 34

C27 = 0.6530

C31 = Total

Now the formula that I need is like this:

If (C23670) Then Let C31 = (C23*C27)

I am trying to write a spreadsheet to work out the cost of my gas bill. New
meter installed with reading of zero a couple of weeks ago.

upto 670 KWh gas is charged a 0.06530p per KWh
after that it is charged at another price. I got the after bit worked out
but beggered if I can sort the first bit.

Anyone wish to hazzard a guess at the formula ?

Kindest regards,

Jim

Assuming you're using excel, and that the 670 threshold applies to each charging period (qtrly?), and noting the beauty of s/sheets is you can just change selected variables when appropriate, I would suggest...

Label stuff (for future ref) e.g.
cell C1 = Price 1 (pence/KwH)
cell C2 = Price 2 (pence/KwH)
cell C3 = Threshold
cell C5 = KWh used
cell C7 = Total price

Enter inital values in adjacent cells, e.g.
cell D1 = 0.653
cell D2 = 0.050
cell D3 = 670
cell D5 = 1200
cell D7 = =MIN(D3,D5)*D1+MAX(0,D5-D3)*D2

Explanation....
---------------------
D2 - whatever price the "excess" units are charged at

D5 - your actual consumption

D7 - the "Min" bit caters for actual total consumption being less than 670 (also see Grant's post)
- the "Max" bit deals with the "excess" units, but prevents a negative charge if total consumption is less than 670.

Other things...
You'll also need some formulas to convert meter reading to KWh, via "correction factor", "calorific value", "feet to metres" etc....

And at the end, add any standing charge and 5% VAT.

Tweak number formats so you get req'd number of decimals etc.

Take care not to mix up pounds and pence ...!

HTH - but re-post if anything's not clear.

--
Martin