Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Wall Tile adhesive queries - best way to spread it and best wayto clean it up

Steve wrote:
Can anyone advise on a couple of wall tile adhesive questions please?

1. What is the best way to apply it to get even 'ribs'. I get very uneven
spreading - some ribs, but also some very thin patches and some 'clumps'. I'm
using good (Bal Green) adhesive and a 5mm notched spreader. I've been
applying a layer of adhesive to the wall first then combing the notched
spreader along at 45deg.. I just can't seem to get nice even ribs of
adhesive.

Sounds like you may not have mixed the adhesive well enough. Some of
these things are better mechanically whisked into the water, but I'm not
familiar with the product

2. Is there a best way to clean tiling tools after use? Does it help if
they are soaked in water first? Is it helpful to use washing up liquid? Is
it OK to pour the washings down the drain (will it clog the drains?) if not,
what is the alternative?

I wash the tools in a bucket of water every half an hour or so. Bits of
adhesive start to harden on the spreader quite quickly during use and
make the job harder.

Leave the bucket for an hour to let the solids sink to the bottom, and
pour off the clear water