Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default rcd tripping

"GMC" wrote in message ...
GMC wrote:
Hi there.

I needed to replace two socket plates in my parents kitchen, i bought the
relevant 2 gang sockets from Screwfix, a brushed stainless Volex socket
which will replace the white plastic ones currently installed. As soon as
I connect either of the new metal sockets the RCD in the consumer unit
trips when the power is turned back on. I have triple checked that I am
connecting it up correctly. The fault goes away as soon as the plastic
socket is reinstated. I initially thought that the socket may be faulty
(!) so used the second one which gave exactly the same behaviour. It
seems that the metal sockets are directly related to the RCD tripping but
I dont understand why, can anyone explain this to me or offer a solution
please? (my solution may be to replace the sockets with plastic ones!)

Thanks

Gerry.

Ok, further to a few suggestions I have checked the insulation on the
cables for nicks etc and cannot find any, indeed it all looks perfectly
normal.

As a test i decided to fit a new faceplate to a *different* socket. Same
result, RCD trips. This is with the socket hanging on its own not screwed
to the backbox and not earthed to the backbox.

Im confused.

It is odd, I can only suggest they are both faulty or have been
exposed to moisture or other contaminant.
Disconnect them completely and use a multi-meter set to its
highest resistance range between L&E and N&E. If there is any
measurable leakage at all, take them back.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%