Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARY CONVERTER

"Snag" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
you should be OK - once the saw starts, the rotary converter doesn't
really do much to help (well, it helps a little) - you will hae a bit
less horspower than if you had full power to the motor, but you
should be fine
the "static converters" basically do this - they get the motor
started and then are switched out of the circuit - I use one of these
on my 6 hp mill (well, it's 6 hp spindle, 2 hp ways) with no issues,
so I am sure that once your saw motor starts, it will be fine.

And a new, versus old blade won't make any particular difference

Uh , Bill , it most assuredly WILL make a difference . New sharp blades
take a lot less power to cut than old dull blades . I work full time in a
commercial millwork shop , and we can really tell the difference when the
blades start to drag from dull teeth .
Dave , you'll want to be sure the 2X4's don't warp and bind the blade ,
that'll raise all kinds of hell with that setup .
--
Snag
every answer

of course - I was contemplating old, not quite razor sharp versus new - old
dull cruddy won't cut anything blades don't count