Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default running a 5 hp motor on a "3 hp max single motor" ROTARYCONVERTER

On Jul 5, 9:58*pm, dave wrote:

I realize I "should" have a bigger rotary converter for the task (or
change the saw to a smaller 3 hp motor), but, as a 'stopgap measure',
might this work, or, uhh, what?

I have no -other- three-phase machines here (at the garage of my house)
I can start up on my ol' arco HD-3 model rotary-converter, either...

thanks for tips, ideas, and WAGS on this one, guys

toolie

The general rule is that a three phase motor will develop about 2/3
power if running on single phase. This is without any phase
converter. With your phase converter it should be capable of slightly
more than 2/3 of the name plate horse power. But not a lot more. So
I would think it should be fine for cutting some boards. Say cut for
15 minutes and then let it cool for 15 minutes. See if either the
rotary converter or the saw motor is getting hot.

Dan